Yes, we know, it’s already eleven days into 2017 and normally prediction posts release by the end of the previous year. But, Justin and I have been competing to see who’s the greatest for the past six years. We couldn’t let the 7th year pass without any predictions. Hey, at least they are in before any major news is released (I’m looking at you Switch event).
Before we get into our 2017 Predictions, we have to take a look back at 2016.
*Wild Card predictions are worth two points.
The 2016 Predictions of James
- Wii U will see another price drop. – Probably around $249.
- Nintendo will announce the Wii U sales over the holidays were really strong..
- A new evolution of Nintendo’s next handheld – Be it the NX part or the next evolution after 3DS.
- Star Fox Wii U sales will be disappointing for Nintendo but not bad overall.
- Nintendo will tease something Metroid for the NX.
- The NX will simplify Nintendo’s hardware approach – Will not have any surprise gimmicks.
- The NX will have similar specs to the PS4 and One but offer a streamlined architecture and efficient GPU.
- Image and Form and/or both Renegade Kid will jump into making an indie console game. – Possibly together.
- Nintendo’s mobile market will do very well – especially in Japan. This will help Nintendo see profits through 2016.
- Someone at Nintendo will announce the Wii U failed.
- We will see part or all the NX in 2016.
- Nintendo will bring a Mario platformer to mobile.
The 2016 Predictions of Justin
- The Legend of Zelda for Wii U will finally release in 2016, probably closer to Holiday 2016
- Retro Studios’ next game finally unveiled
- Another Wii U price drop but it’ll be in the form of more bundles with games
- New Pokemon game(s) announced for the franchise’s 20th anniversary, will use amiibo in some way
- Wii U / 3DS digital purchases using players’ Nintendo Network IDs will be transferable to the new Nintendo Account and subsequently to the NX
- The NX will be the new Nintendo home console, but it’ll have other hardware to take on the go like a handheld (could be bundled or bought separately)
- Relating to the prediction above, the new Nintendo console and handheld will use the same software platform/OS so players can play games on either system
- GameCube games will be added to the Virtual Console service
- Nintendo to announce some surprising third-party partnerships/support for the NX
- Nintendo will be aggressive with the NX’s release and shoot to launch by the end of 2016 (now that could just be the handheld piece or home console so it could be a tiered release)
- Nintendo announces a custom bluetooth controller modeled after the Wii U Pro Controller with iOS/Android compatibility to play Virtual Console games on mobile devices
- The Legend of Zelda for Wii U will release on Wii U and be playable on the NX home console and NX handheld (essentially by virtue of all Wii U games being playable on the NX)
According to our count I have finally won, again, with a 7-5 point difference. Now, let’s take a look at our 2017 predictions.
Disclaimer: These predictions are not made with any research or insider information – it’s basically just for fun. Over the years our predictions have morphed into more cool possibilities that we want rather than safe bets.
James 2017 Predictions
- The Nintendo Switch will have a stronger 1st year sales than the Wii U.
- The Holidays will see a major upgrade or add-on for the Nintendo Switch.
- We will start to hear plans about the 3DS’ future – somehow corresponds with the Switch or totally decommissioned.
- An Official Nintendo licensed movie or series will be announced.
- Nintendo will have a huge software line-up for the Switch release window and the holidays but in-between may be a little slow.
- Mobile entertainment will be a huge part of Nintendo’s business plan in 2017.
- Nintendo will have their biggest E3 showing and presence in over three years.
- The Nintendo Switch will be 3rd party app friendly. (Think of our Pure Nintendo Magazine app on the Switch)
- We will FINALLY see the next console Metroid game.
- Nintendo will release a portable charging device for the Switch.
- An augmented Reality Headset will be released for the Switch.
- Nintendo will do an official Press Conference during E3 2017.
Justin 2017 Predictions
- GameCube games will finally be added to the Virtual Console service
- Retro Studios’ next game finally finally unveiled
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be a launch title for the Nintendo Switch at least in some regions
- The new Super Mario game Nintendo has been working on since Super Mario 3D World will release in 2017
- Monolith Soft’s next game will be announced
- We will get our first glimpse of a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch
- Unfortunately, I predict another scenario where Nintendo underestimates the demand and/or undersupplies the Nintendo Switch at launch and it proves to be hard to find for a couple months post-launch (not as bad as the NES Nintendo Classic Edition, but still constrained)
- Nintendo has a lot of franchises that are overdue for a follow-up (F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike/truck, Metroid are some examples)—we will see an old Nintendo franchise like one of these or another revived this year
- The Nintendo Switch will have a sizable launch lineup, 30+ titles (ports for sure, but also a slew of higher quality offerings including the new Zelda)
- Third parties and indies will have a high output of software/support for the Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch to start at $249
- Nintendo Switch to launch March 17, 2017
What do you think of our predictions? Feel free to leave your own predictions in the comments section below.