Leipzig 08: Spider-Man: Web of Shadows – fact sheet
A deadly symbiote invasion brings total devastation to the streets of New York City in the next Spider-Man™: Web of Shadows, where players have ultimate control over the city’s salvation and Spider-Man’s destiny. Set in an apocalyptic New York City, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows gives players an unprecedented level of gameplay choices, including, for the first time, control over the game’s direction and outcome. The all new combat system allows for truly three dimensional battles that start in the streets, continue up sides of buildings and finish on rooftops. Gamers can instantly switch between the agile red suit and formidable black suit, choose to ally with Marvel’s honored heroes or ferocious villains, pick which of Spider-Man’s abilities to upgrade, and decide which missions to undertake in order to protect Manhattan from certain destruction.
* Not-So-Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man – A fusion of web-slinging and powerful combat moves combine to create an unbeatable, all-new fighting system that intuitively blends Spider-Man’s speed and strength with the environment for deadly new attacks and combos. Players can crush an enemy through the momentum of swinging from a flagpole, fight hordes of symbiotes with wall-crawling abilities, or rapidly attack an entire mob in quick succession with the spin of a web. And for the first time in a Spider-Man game, gamers can take the fight vertically and combat foes on city walls, where Spider-Man has the advantage.
* Anything Goes – At a moment’s notice, players can harness the grace, agility and acrobatics of Spider-Man Red Suit, or leverage the brute, savage power of the Black Suit. For the first time in a Spider-Man game, gamers can switch suits at any time to create devastating never-before-seen combos and finishing moves. Players must decide if saving New York means siding with Marvel’s most honored heroes or its most dangerous villains, as they control how to fight, what abilities to upgrade and with whom to ally.
* The City That Never Sleeps – Teeming with life, the Big Apple is more alive than ever before in the Spider-Man series. Citizens will either cheer Spider-Man on or run away in fear, depending on gamers’ actions and decisions. Players control whether Spider-Man acts the hero or the vigilante in his quest to save the city, both in turn affecting the course and struggle against the symbiote invasion.
* Battlefield: Next-Gen Apocalypse – Increased city interactivity and destructibility allow the player to pick up and use anything in their way as a weapon, destroy store fronts, demolish vehicles, and virtually obliterate city streets with powerful attacks. Next-generation technology brings New York to life with realistic textures and animations, as well as an all-new context-sensitive camera system allowing the player to take on enemies and change directions faster than ever before, while adding a new dimension of intelligence and polish to Spider-Man’s actions in the air and on the ground.
* Who’s With Me? – With some of the greatest heroes and most notorious villains in the Marvel Universe, including staples such as Luke Cage and Vulture, players’ choices control who will ultimately aid them in the fight to rid New York of the alien symbiote. These choices have consequences, as behaving like a hero or like a vigilante will ultimately lead to separate destinies.
* Extra Credit – As gamers progress, they earn experience in multiple combat disciplines to allow them to custom-design their ideal Spider-Man. Whether players prefer web-slinging to melee fighting, or battling in the Red Suit versus the Black Suit, points are generated that can be used to upgrade the move they like best.
* Instant Replay – With dozens of story choices and character customization options, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows provides a fresh and exciting gaming experience every time it’s played.
Publisher: Activision, Inc.
Developer: Shaba / Treyarch (Xbox 360, PS3)
Treyarch (Wii – NOTE: gameplay/content may vary)
Amaze (PS2, PSP, NDS – NOTE: gameplay/content may vary)
Release Date: Fall 2008
SRP: $59.99 (Xbox 360, PS3)
$49.99 (Wii, PSP)
$39.99 (PC, PS2)
ESRB Ratings: “T” for Teen for Animated Blood, Mild Language, Violence (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, PS2, PSP)
“E10+” for Everyone 10 and older for Cartoon Violence (NDS)