Nintendo investor meeting rundown
There has been a ton of information from Mr. Iwata’s time with Nintendo investors. Below is some preliminary information from his presentation. Sometime tonight Nintendo of America will offer the English transcript from the meeting.
First some numbers.
- Pokemon X/Y has sold 11.61m
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf has sold 3.52m.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon has sold 2.57m
- The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds has sold 2.18m
- Super Mario 3D World has sold 1.94m
- New Super Mario Bros. U has sold 1.74m
- New Super Luigi U has sold 1.51m
- Wii Party U has sold 1.24m
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker has sold 1.15m.
- Mario Kart Wii has sold another 1 million in the past 9-month period, life-to-date is 35.26m
- Iwata – Nintendo won’t change how hardware and software combined, will not bring games to other platforms. But Nintendo will licenses games characters and products to other companies.
- Nintendo will not license everything and will keep in mind competitiveness.
- Nintendo already in talks for licensing.
- Mario Kart 8 in May.
- No change to game console being center of Nintendo’s strategy.
- Nintendo will continue R&D on next hardware.
- Wii U NFC games will be shown off during E3.
- Iwata – Wii U weakness is the GamePad, recognition is low. People still think the GamePad is an accessory for the Wii.
- Wii U needs GamePad focused games.
- The GamePad is a high priority for Nintendo.
- Looking into new marketing strategies.
- Another Wii U price cut is not an option.
- Iwata agrees change is needed. Reminds that Nintendo has been through change before, from Hanafuda cards to game consoles.
- Nintendo will “actively” use smart devices to “make connections with customers
- Smart devices will be used as catalyst for Nintendo devices.
- (This isn’t clear yet) Nintendo to release some type of On-demand service.
- Service is ID based and not device based, more people play the lower the price. (Again, this info is not very clear)
- Wii U will have a quick boot feature that will cut the time from start-up to off-screen play.
- Iwata – Nintendo can’t have two or three architectures. Apple has one with the iOS and Andriod has theirs. The 3DS and Wii U are brothers and sisters. Iwata is not sure of console and portable plans will merge in the future.