Nostalgia vs. Retro
We’ve got release dates for upcoming Nintendo Switch games bearing the names of Contra, Gravitar, RiffTrax, Sonic, and TMNT, and those aren’t even the ones I’m most excited about? It’s somehow true, thanks to a release window (and new trailer) for Chained Echoes.
You have plenty of options below to disagree.
- Studio Wildcard has announced that ARK: Ultimate Survivor Edition is coming to the Nintendo Switch with hundreds of hours of content, including ARK: Survival Evolved and all its massive Expansion Packs. This bundle will launch in September 2022 in retail and the Nintendo eShop for $49.99. The ARK base game and Scorched Earth Expansion Pack are available immediately, and subsequent expansions will follow in two month intervals. Additionally in September, everyone who already owns the ARK: Survival Evolved base game on Nintendo Switch will receive this complete revamp of functionality, graphics, and optimization.
- As Far As The Eye—from developer Unexpected and publisher Goblinz Publishing—is crossing to Nintendo Switch on Thursday, April 28, 2022. Guide the Pupils after becoming one with the wind to help them discover the center of the world, the Eye. Gain agriculture and crafting skills through turn-based decisions to improve the Pupils’ mobile village and build important locations like sawmills and hunting lodges. Protect the community from rising waters and life-threatening conditions as they embark on a journey towards the Eye and discover foreign paths to be explored.
- Catie in MeowmeowLand, a comical point-and-click adventure based on Alice in Wonderland , sets out to explore Nintendo Switch on Thursday, April 28, 2022. Fall down a mystical rabbit hole into a hand-drawn world full of fantasy, wonder, and bizarre, feline creatures. Follow a curious gal named Catie as she explores fantastical frontiers with the guidance of an agile white kitty.
- The epic new trailer for Chained Echoes features everything the game will have to offer—from stunning pixelart-madness and gripping combat situations to demonstrating the perfect blend of fantasy and science fiction. But more than just glorious music and a first look at some of the impressive monster designs, the trailer also reveals a release window of fourth quarter of 2022.
- Limited Run Games has partnered with video game publisher KONAMI to celebrate over 35-years of the beloved and classic Contra franchise with the physical release of the Contra Anniversary Collection, coming soon to Nintendo Switch4. Three Collector’s Editions—the Classic Edition, the Hard Corps Edition, and the Ultimate Edition—will be made available alongside a Standard version of the game. The Contra Anniversary Collection will be available to pre-order for six-weeks, beginning on Apr. 29, 2022 via the official Limited Run Games website.
- ININ Games has announce that Cotton Fantasy is launching in one month, on May 20th both digitally and via retailers worldwide. After the critically acclaimed remaster Cotton Reboot! delighted fans in 2021, Cotton Fantasy now marks the full rebirth of the series, with a brand-new entry. To play the game on launch, fans can already pre-order from a variety of local retailers.
- Atari has announced a May 2022 launch for Gravitar: Recharged, the latest addition to Atari’s successful Recharged series that revisits and modernizes titles from the golden age of video games. Gravitar: Recharged places players in the cockpit of a rocket ship as a lone pilot tasked with exploring various solar systems across the vast expanse of outer space. Each solar system offers its own distinct missions and challenges, and each challenge features varying levels of gravity, making gameplay as equally hypnotic as it is dynamic.
- Tate Multimedia has announced that, more than 20 years after his debut, Kao the Kangaroo will make its return on Friday 27th May, 2022. Kao (pronounced K-O) launched his first adventure on SEGA’s legendary Dreamcast back in the year 2000. Now, two decades on, Tate Multimedia has decided to give the platforming genre a bit of a kick and let Kao off the leash once more, releasing his biggest adventure yet.
- Today (April 22, 2022), more information about Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony, a 2D action game based on Touhou Project and Frontier Aja, have been revealed through Steam store page and the official website. The game will be released on Nintendo Switch and Steam on July 28, 2022, and the Nintendo Switch physical edition is currently on pre-order in Japan.
- Developer Wide Right Interactive has teamed up to create the definitive movie heckling party title, RiffTrax: The Game! With over 250 movies clips, new game modes, Twitch integration, and expanded ways to connect players, fans of witty one-liners and low-budgets movies can look forward riffing off with friends and family when the games releases on multiple platforms—including Nintendo Switch—on May 5th.
- Kiss Publishing Limited, in association with developer Tower Studios, will release Sociable Soccer for PC and console in November 2022, in time for the Qatar World Cup. Sociable Soccer was originally released in 2019 via Apple Arcade for iOS, where it has built up a huge following of fans for its fast, arcade-style, intuitive gameplay, complete with multiplayer head-to-heads and collectible player cards.
- Sonic Origins is an all-new multi-game collection reintroducing the fan-favourite 2D Sonic titles that were originally released on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive platform – Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, digitally remastered for current generation platforms. Developed by SEGA, Sonic Origins delivers the legendary, non-stop Sonic action found in the original games, while providing a fresh twist with remastered visuals, added features, new content and modes and more. The compilation of titles included in Sonic Origins is set to release digitally on Sonic’s birthday, June 23, 2022.
- Merge Games, Dotemu and developer Tribute Games have revealed that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge is set to receive a physical and collector’s edition of the game. Reuniting Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael in the classic brawler and beat ‘em up, the team have confirmed contributions from the original line up of 80’s cartoon voice actors. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge will be launching digitally this summer.
- Winter Ember—the stealth sandbox action game from developer Sky Machine Studios and publisher Blowfish Studios—will be coming to Nintendo Switch later this year. Move swiftly through the snow-lined alleyways of Anargal, eclipsed by the clandestine darkness of an empire imprisoned by corruption. Exact vengeance on a tyrannical cultic regime as Arthus Artorious, a long-assumed-dead Nobel fallen from the city’s graces. Equip a trusty bow with a diverse arsenal of trick arrows to scale buildings, eliminate obstacles, neutralize foes, and unravel secrets behind a grand conspiracy.
- Strictly Limited Games has announced that the ‘90s 16-bit shooter Zero Tolerance will receive an exclusive, limited physical release. This 2.5D first person shooter set in a distant alien-infiltrated future celebrates its comeback with some very special editions including not only awesome never before published game content but also exclusive physical collectibles. The game will be available for pre-order starting on Sunday, April 24th, at 12 AM CEST.