The latest update to the Nintendo Switch firmware brings us to the next major version. Version 5.0.0 brings several changes to the system, most notably the ability to find Switch users via your Twitter and Facebook friend lists.
Other improvements include tighter parental controls, as well as faster access between PC and the Switch eShop for downloading titles remotely. You’ll also notice 24 new user icons to play with, featuring characters from the ARMS and Kirby franchises. The news feed has also been tweaked to filter specific or unread news.
While there’s nothing breathtaking about this update, there are a lot of little improvements that should add to a better overall user experience. Check out the release notes below to see the full list of updates that come with version 5.0.0.
Have you updated your Switch yet? Let us know which changes you’re enjoying so far.
Improvements Included in Version 5.0.0 (Distributed 03/12/2018)
Added the following system functionality
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page