Today, Nintendo released the company’s Q2 2015 earnings and sales numbers, which covers the time period of July through September 2015. There’s a lot of numbers to work through. I will try my best to break everything down into an easy to read format.
Note: Nintendo follows the Japanese finincial year which starts April 1st and end March 31st of the next year.
First, let’s start with the lifetime sales totals from some of Nintendo’s biggest games:
- Mario Kart 8 – 5.87 million
- Nintendo Land – 5.00 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U – 4.88 million
- Super Mario 3D World – 4.47 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 4.03 million
- Splatoon – 2.42 million
- New Super Luigi U – 2.27 million
- Super Mario Maker – 1.88 million .
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 1.62 million
- Wii Party U – 1.58 million
- Pokémon X/Pokémon Y – 14.15 million
- Mario Kart 7 – 12.19 million
- Pokémon Omega Ruby/Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – 10.69 million
- Super Mario 3D Land – 10.21 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 9.47 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 9.44 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 7.37 million
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 4.61 million
- Tomodachi Life – 4.48 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – 3.82 million
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer – 2.02 million
Now, to some of the tough but important numbers:
- Nintendo’s net income totaled 3.2 billion yen ($27 million)
- Net sales were 204.1 billion yen ($1.7 Billion)
- Operating income was 8.9 billion yen (74 million)
- The Wii U sold 720,000 units – Totaling 10.73 million units to date.
- Nintendo expects to sell 3.4 million Wii U units by the end of the Financial year, March 2016.
- The Nintendo 3DS has sold 1.27 million units through Q2 – Totaling 54.34 million units.
Overall, Nintendo fell a little short of some of their predictions but, for the most part, managed to show a profit for the first six months of the financial year – thanks to strong software and amiibo sales.
What do you think of Nintendo’s financial standing? How will the big N fair during the upcoming holiday season?