After the unfortunate announcement from the MLB, stating that the 2020 season would be delayed by at least two weeks, baseball fans can rejoice with the announcement of Super Mega Baseball 3 coming to Nintendo Switch. Super Mega Baseball 3 is planned to release on the console sometime during April 2020. The game will cost $44.99 but you will not be required to spend money on downloadable content packs as you did for Super Mega Baseball 2, its predecessor.
“We’ve kept it simple — one purchase gets you the whole package and there are no in-game purchases,” said Metalhead co-founder Scott Drader.
For those not familiar with the franchise, it occupies a unique niche of sports games. It is a mixture of both arcade-style and officially licensed simulation games. The Super Mega Baseball series is similar to arcade games in its art style but different in its gameplay systems. Super Mega Baseball 3 keeps its cartoon aesthetic but the developers have emphasised the noticeable refinement in the game’s graphics.
Refined graphics isn’t the only new feature being perorated, though. The game also boasts a new franchise mode! In addition to the newly added franchise mode, there are several new gameplay mechanics being introduced such as pickoff moves, wild pitches and passed balls, and the ability to play with a designated hitter.
Here’s what is coming in Super Mega Baseball 3:
- Challenge your hand-eye coordination or relax and hit dingers with fluid gameplay that scales seamlessly from novice to beyond-expert levels of difficulty.
- Apply and refine your baseball instincts with a sophisticated baseball simulation featuring new pick-off and base stealing mechanics, wild pitches/passed balls, designated hitters, and situational player traits.
- Take in the sights and sounds of 14 richly detailed ballparks, each featuring unique day, night and alternate lighting conditions.
- Guide an evolving team to greatness over multiple seasons in the all-new Franchise mode featuring player development, ageing, retirement and signing/releasing of free agents.
- Compete online to win pennants and climb to higher divisions in the cross-platform Pennant Race mode.
- Create your ideal league with a comprehensive customization suite that includes season length/structure, team names/uniforms/logos, and player names/appearance/attributes.
- Play or simulate any combination of games/teams in customized Seasons and Elimination brackets, solo or with friends.
Do you like our news and review coverage at Pure Nintendo? If so, then you should consider subscribing to our magazine via Patreon. Pure Nintendo Magazine has exclusive coverage you will not find on the website, e.g. features, previews, interviews, and more!