IGN Nintendo Voice Chat podcast Summary: Nintendo Conference Embargoed Until Next Week?
Just wanted to point something out from this podcast. In the question section of the podcast, Mat stats that the Nintendo conference later this week will probably be embargoed until next week.
– Nikkei spilled the beans on the potential of a future Nintendo DS
– Rumors have always been out there, but Nikkei is like the Wall Street Journal of Japan, so when they say something, you kind of listen.
– Updated version of Nintendo DS, adding a second touch screen, bigger screens SD card and mp3 support. Suggested faster Wi-Fi and alluded that Nintendo wants to have more connectivity like Safeco Field
– Also saying there’s a camera, Craig says the camera could also be used at the Wii’s i-Toy.
– Another theory from Craig: Save files off the Wii to the DS -> Wii’s storage solution. Bozon also thinks they’ll open up the SD card, like what Vicarious has been doing.
– Backward compatibility could be a problem with bigger screens
– Orbient – grow big enough to attract the sun of each solar system, use bigger plannets to sling-shot yourself around
– Control with A + B buttons – Attract and repel
– Figure out how to use the momentum + gravity of the planets
– Can see where the repel and attract is coming from (gravity) – Can orient yourself better
– Based around the same levels, more hazards in the way
– Craig’s going to give it an editor’s choice, Matt’s enjoying the game
– Simple and cheap
– Matt was surprised to see a WiiWare game published by Nintendo
– Daemon thinks it’s good, it’s a lot like Bomberman Live on XBLA
– Bozon wishes there was a completely top-down mode or more top-down
– Online is really fun, runs smoothly
– Get docked like a 1000 points for disconnecting online
– No costumes from 360 versions, can use your Mii locally when you play through the 11 maps
– Bozon isn’t a fan of the game
– A lot of fetch-quests
– Environments relatively small and you’re locked into them for a long time
– Walking around and retracing areas, enemies low-level but will still attack aggressively
– Not a crap-game but Bozon thinks only the hardcore Sonic fans will look past the fact that it isn’t a good core RPG game
– Visually looks good
– Had all of the parts in place but the control scheme wasn’t great
– Sim designs from MySims used to try to give the game personality but Daemon thinks it’s actually obnoxious
– Controls really hurt the game, nunchuck isn’t used
– Developers nailed the game from a technical standpoint
– Brothers in Arms – Matt says make sure you don’t buy that game. Bozon says Far Cry even has better controls than the game.
– Line Rider 2: Unbound basically like the DS + PC games. The things that are good + bad about those games apply to Unbound
– Video games don’t have long shelf-life, especially compared to DVDs. If a game is worth reprinting again, it’ll happen.
– Chances of Sega putting 32X and Sega CD games on the VC – Matt wouldn’t rule it out, there’s a possibility that it can be done.
– No one on the Nintendo Team isn’t sure what Nintendo’s event is going to be about. Matt thinks maybe we’ll hear some DS news, Disaster and Fatal Frame for North America. Wii Music and Animal Crossing pretty much guaranteed. Matt thinks it’ll be good but not epic. Under embargo until next week, will be able to live-blog the first hour or so of the presentation.
– When you plug in MotionPlus you DO NOT lose the option to use the nunchuck
– Craig is hoping that Nintendo will bring all the Bit-Generation games to WiiWare, Nintendo Puzzle collection and Doshun the giant
– Not a high chance that third-party games will use WiiSpeak in 2008
– Nintendo Team is getting new playable levels of The Conduit tomorrow
– Maybe about a thousand or so of the Twilight Princess trailer carts from previous E3 out there
– IGN Wii playground will start happening again
– de Blob DS game probably won’t launch until next year
– Bozon isn’t sure where he died the most in Mega Man 9
– Everyone agrees that achievements on Wii would be a good thing
– Excitebike 64, Pilotwings would both be good choices for the 300th VC game
– IGN Nintendo Team isn’t getting motion sickness from de Blob
– Reason why Nintendo Team doesn’t like simple button controls being replaced with waggle: it’s unnecessary, doesn’t make it fun