Red Faction Guerilla: Re-Mars-tered now on Switch
Take back Mars.
Mars is not a happy place. It’s been depicted countless times in literaure, film and video games, and it’s just never been portrayed as a place you want to visit for any amount of time. But visit it you can now that THQ Nordic has released Kaiko’s Red Faction: Guerilla Re-Mars-tered for Nintendo Switch.
Originally released for consoles and Windows PC back in 2009, Red Faction: Guerilla is the third installment in the Red Faction series which dates all the way back to 2001. It was remastered for PS4 and Xbox One a year ago today, and now brings its third-person shooter gameplay to a Nintendo console for the first time.
In the game, players take on the role of an insurgent fighter with the Red Faction movement that is battling for liberation from the oppressive Earth Defense Force. The series has always been defined by its true physics-based destruction, and Red Faction: Guerrilla expands upon it with guerilla-style combat set in a huge open-world.
More specifically, the game features:
- Open World Guerrilla Warfare – You decide who, when, where and how to battle. Utilize guerrilla tactics, improvised weaponry, and modified vehicles to lead insurgent attacks on EDF targets. Launch attacks based on your own gameplay style, take on missions in any order you choose, or engage in destructive activities to weaken the EDF’s grip on Mars.
- Strategic Destruction – Use destruction to your tactical advantage, setting ambushes or chain reaction explosions to attack enemy strongholds and permanently modify the game environment. Leverage fully-dynamic physics-based destruction to improvise on the fly: blow holes in a wall or floor to set an ambush or escape, take out a staircase to stop your pursuers, or drive vehicles through blown out walls.
- Evolving & Emergent Gameplay – Carve your path through an ever changing landscape as you improvise your combat tactics – mixing gameplay styles, vehicles, weapons and explosives to defeat the EDF.
- Epic Sci-Fi Setting – Explore the huge, unforgiving Martian landscape, from the desolate mining outpost of Parker to the gleaming EDF capital city of Eos; then tear through the fully destructible open-world environments swarming with EDF forces, Red Faction resistance fighters, and the downtrodden settlers caught in the cross-fire.
- Multiplayer Combat – There is no place to hide when you put your guerrilla warfare skills to the test in a variety of highly destructive multiplayer combat modes.
The Switch release gets set custom options, too, including fully reworked graphics, the ability to choose between Performance and Quality Mode (?!), improved shadow rendering, improved lighting, and optional motion controls.