Why Nintendo should announce a new Zelda and DS at E3
E3 is just around the corner. Everyone has already begun speculating about what Nintendo has up their sleeve. We know just about nothing of what they have to announce. Many believe a new Zelda announcement or even a new Nintendo handheld. So after talking to Justin about these two speculations, I decided to look up the facts regarding Zelda and Nintendo handheld released dates. This possible could give us a clue of when Nintendo will announce a new Zelda game or even a new DS.
How long has it been since Twilight Princess was announced? The DS was announced how long after the GBA was released? How many years were there between the releases of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess? Follow the jump to find out.
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Announced – December 1995
Released – November 1998
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Announced – June 1999
Released -October 2000
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Announced – August 2001
Released – March 2003
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Announced – May 2004
Released – November 2006
- Ocarina of Time was released in November of 1998 and Majora’s Mask was announced only 8 months later.
- Majora’s Mask was released in October 2000 and Wind Waker was announced just 11 months later.
- Wind Waker was released in March of 2003 and Twilight Princess was announced just 15 months later.
- Twilight Princess was released in November of 2006. E3 2008 falls in the month of July. It’s been 21 months since Twilight Princess.
This is the longest time we have waited for a Zelda announcement for a console in over 13 years. This is the perfect time for Nintendo to announce a new Zelda for the Nintendo Wii. Many people believe it’s still too early for Nintendo to announce a new Zelda, but looking at the past we are overdue for a Zelda announcement.
Game Boy Advance
Announced – 2000
Released – June 2001
Game Boy Advance SP
Released – March 2003
Announced/ Shown – May 2004
Released – November 2004
Nintendo DS Lite
Release – June 2006
- The GBA was released in June 2001; the GBA SP was released 1 year and 10 months later.
- The Nintendo DS was announced in May 2004, just 1 Year and 3 months after the GBA SP was released.
- The DS Lite was released in June of 2006, 1 Year and 8 months after the Original DS was released.
- The DS was announced 2 years and 11 months after the GBA was released.
- The GBA was on store shelves for about 3 ½ years when the DS was released
- It has been almost 3 years and 8 months since the DS was first released.
If the numbers are any indication, then there is the possibility of Nintendo announcing a new handheld in the next year or even as soon as E3. But since the DS is not considered part of the Game Boy line, this thinking could be flawed. The DS has sold extremely well but recently sales have dropped. It would seem like an ideal time for Nintendo to announce a new Handheld.
I guess we will have to wait until E3 to find out what Nintendo has in store for the world. These next few weeks will be painful ones, full of speculation. But be patient, Nintendo is the master of surprises.
All release dates are for North America.