Winners of “X-Play Best of 2007 Awards” Announced – BioShock is Videogame of the Year
G4’s Fifth Annual Videogame Awards Show Honored Year’s Best in 16 Categories
LOS ANGELES, December 18, 2007 – The best videogames of the year were revealed Monday night during the “X-Play Best of 2007 Awards” on G4. “BioShock” was selected as Game of the Year, one of the four awards the game received during the special year-end episode of “X-Play,” the most watched videogame series on television. Two other games also won in multiple categories, with “Portal” receiving Most Original Game and Best New Character accolades and “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” winning Best Shooter and Best Sound Design.
“‘BioShock’ is one of those rare games that I can see myself playing in 10 years,” said Adam Sessler, host, “X-Play.” “The story is great, the music is amazing, the art direction is stunning and the overall execution just feels amazingly fresh. There were a ton of amazing games this year, but ‘BioShock’ was the best.”
“The innovations in ‘Portal” are simple, but immensely satisfying,” said Morgan Webb, host, “X-Play.” “There’s limitless potential for new types of gameplay and ‘Portal’ is a great example of what happens when designers come up with truly original concepts.”
The “X-Play Best of 2007 Awards” marked the fifth anniversary of the annual awards and the last episode of the series in its current review format. Beginning Monday, Jan. 14 at 8 pm ET/PT, the series will unveil an all-new and expanded format that adds breaking news, demos, videos, interviews and more to the series’ celebrated reviews.
The “X-Play Best of 2007 Awards” winners are:
* Game of the Year – BioShock
* Most Original Game – Portal
* Best Gameplay Innovation – Assassin’s Creed (free-running/climbing)
* Best Multiplayer Game – Rock Band
* Best Action/Adventure Game – Super Mario Galaxy
* Best Sports Game – Forza Motorsport 2
* Best Shooter – Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
* Best Role Playing Game – Mass Effect
* Best New Character – Portal (GLaDOS)
* Best Art Direction – BioShock
* Best Animation – Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
* Best Writing/Story – BioShock
* Best Original Soundtrack – BioShock
* Best Sound Design – Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
* Best Downloadable Content – Pac-Man Championship Edition (XBLA)
* Best Strategy Game – Supreme Commander
Past “X-Play” Game of the Year award winners have included Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003), Halo 2 (2004), Resident Evil 4 (2005), and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006).
For more information on the winners and to watch clips from the “X-Play Best of 2007 Awards,” please visit www.g4tv.com/bestof2007.