Wondering what the Pure Nintendo team has been playing lately? Our latest playlist includes everything from the rush of Sonic to the fighting style of those four ninja turtles.
In fact, most of us were playing the latest TMNT game this week, with Shredder’s Revenge receiving a lot of much-deserved love from the team. A couple of us have even been caught playing together online. This retro throwback is done so well, it’ll likely be a member of our playlist for some time.
Meanwhile, Trev in particular has been obsessing over Sonic since his recent Origins review. We can’t say we blame him; classic Sonic is hard to beat and even had Mario worried once upon a time. Speaking of which, there’s some classic Mario love in our playlsit to compensate for the Sonic saturation, with Mario Galaxy making the list. This is another title that will always have a place in Pure Nintendo’s heart.
Whether you’re seeking inspiration or simply curious about what we’re playing recently, check out our playlist below to see which games we can’t put down lately. But more importantly – what are you playing right now? How’s your own playlist progressing? Let us know in the comments section!
Pure Nintendo playlist
- Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town (Switch): I pulled this game out to let a friend borrow it, but I realized I had barely played it at all after buying it. So I started a new farming adventure and I am fully addicted, just like when I played HM64 almost 20 years ago and fell in love. These games are so relaxing and great for “de-stressing” after a long day of work. If you’re a fan of Stardew Valley I highly recommend checking out the Harvest Moon (now story of seasons) series :)
- Super Mario Galaxy (Switch) – I started to go through my backlog of games, and I saw Super Mario 3D All Stars staring back, so I started playing Super Mario Galaxy. There’s a lot of DNA in Odyssey from this game, I’m really enjoying my time with it.
- Fall Guys (Switch) – I started playing Fall Guys to earn the Mancake outfit in Fortnite, but now I find myself enjoying my time with Fall Guys. So much so, that I purchased the season pass. I used to think I wasn’t a competitive player, I might wrong…
- Forklift Extreme (Switch) – I recently played through this game for a review. It’s a low-key puzzle game with fun physics as you drive a forklift and move boxes around warehouses. Even though it’s pretty simple, I enjoyed my time with it.
- TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (Switch) – I just played through this game from start to finish for the second time with a group of friends. This game is a great new material with a nostalgic feel to it. It’s been fun to revisit these characters and gameplay style. I see myself playing through a game a few more times in the near future as I try out the different characters and play with other friends.
- TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (Switch) – Introduced this to our nieces and nephews recently and they had a blast with it. It’s a love letter to those classic TMNT games while also carving out its own identity. The combat is a lot deeper than expected.
- Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (Switch) – Working on this for a review and it’s a bit of a grind :) as you might expect. Definitely is challenging but not sure if it’s rewarding yet.
- Sonic Origins (Switch) – A repeat from my last playlist, but I’ve been playing it a lot for an upcoming PNM spread. As you’ll see from the rest of my playlist, it’s also triggered something of a theme. Don’t worry; I am still working on proper review games. Keep an eye on our Twitter account for some fun Sonic-related polls shortly!
- Sonic Generations (3DS) – When my wife’s playing the Switch, I’ve been revisiting this forgotten entry in the Sonic series on the 3DS. It’s not great, but it definitely has its moments for fans of the blue blur.
- Sonic Mania (Switch) – Playing the classics in Origins made me want to revisit Mania. Fun fact, it was the first Switch review I did for PN. After five years, I’m ready for another one.
- Sonic Origins (Switch): Finally 100% this collection and it was a ton of fun! Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles were especially great to go back and play for the first time in years. While some of the bonus content was fun to play (Boss Rush Mode), some of the challenges in Challenge Mode were absolutely the worst.
- Comix Zone/Mega Man (Switch Online) – The additions of Comix Zone and Mega Man: The Wily Wars was a great surprise and totally grabbed my attention from other games for a bit. I’ve always been a Comix Zone apologist (it’s a good game!) and I always take any chance to replay the first 3 Mega Man games.
- Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (Switch) – While I haven’t played a lot of it yet, it’s fun to go back to this series. I only ever played the Wii remake, so Klonoa 2 will be a completely fresh surprise for me. So far, the original Klonoa is a fun 2D platformer that is super easy, but that’s totally ok.
- Card Shark (Switch) – This interesting little game is set in 18th-century France where you play card games and deceive your way to the high rollers by cheating. I love the art style and unqiue premise, plus it’s a lot of fun. Check out my Card Shark review for my full thoughts on the game!
- Overcooked 2 (Switch): This fun-yet-crazy multiplayer game may not be a new game, but it’s one we just purchased recently and hacve quickly become obsessed with. This is one fast and furious game! The cute critters belie the crazy kitchen antics. It’s hilarious, challenging and super fun.
- Long Live the Queen (Switch): A new game I’m reviewing, this one involves a princess who’s growing up in a dangerous kingdom. She’s about to become the queen .. if she can survive her training! It’s a visual novel mixed with point-and-click elements that I’m enjoying a lot. Look for my review soon!
- TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (Switch) – This is such a fun game! I really can’t get enough of these guys.
- Pokémon Unite (Switch) – Another playlist, another Unite session! Blastoise is so much fun to evolve from Squirtle (who is so cute btw!) plus I’m an Expert-level player now, woot!